By Stepfanie Romine, co-author of "The SparkPeople Cookbook: Love Your Food, Lose the Weight"
What's the secret to lowering the fat in this festive recipe?
Canned pumpkin! It keeps these cookies moist without adding many calories. Plus, the pumpkin adds another layer of flavor.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup almonds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together pumpkin and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon salt ; mix.
- Stir in oats, craisins and almonds.
- Drop rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool one minute.
Yields 4 dozen cookies.
What's your favorite cookie to make during the holiday season?
Chocolate Emergency Cookies
Skinny Gingerbread Cookies
Spice Cut-Out Cookies
SparkRecipes.com editor Stepfanie Romine is a certified yoga teacher and co-author of "The SparkPeople Cookbook: Love Your Food, Lose the Weight." A vegetarian and runner, she has lived and cooked on three continents.