5 reasons to love brown rice:
- Brown rice contains antioxidants, phytoestrogens and phytosterols that protect against coronary disease.
- It provides a healthy boost of vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- Grains are rich in carbohydrates-the body's main fuel supply-so we need a fair amount daily.
- The fiber in brown rice promotes regularity and lowers the risk of developing diabetes and heart disease.
- People who eat whole grains like brown rice tend to be leaner and have a lower risk of heart disease than those who don't. Take that, Atkins.
Need more convincing to give up white rice? Try these 5 delicious EatingWell recipes:
- Brown Rice & Goat Cheese Cakes
- Black Rice Curried Meatloaf
- Crab Pilaf
- Dirty Rice
- Brown Rice & Tofu Maki
By Michelle Edelbaum
Michelle is the associate editor of interactive for EatingWell Media Group. In between editing and writing, she enjoys sampling the tasty results of the easy, healthy recipes that the EatingWell Test Kitchen cooks are working on.
Make your own sushi rolls with our simple step-by-step guide.
Brown rice is nice, but don't miss out on 7 delicious new varieties of organic whole-grain rice.
Learn how to cook a variety of whole grains with EatingWell's grain-cooking guide.
Read about the environmental benefits of organic rice-farming practices at Lundberg Family Farms.