- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 325º. Beat butter and zest at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating well.
2. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Shape dough into a disc.
3. Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a 2 1/4- or 3 1/4-inch heart-shaped cutter; place 1/2 inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. If desired, cut 1 or 2 holes at top of each cookie (to hang or thread ribbon through after baking).
4. Bake at 325º for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely (about 20 minutes). Decorate as desired with Royal Icing and Colorful Glaze.
February 2010Colorful Glaze
Use the glaze for dipping your cookies, and use Royal Icing for piping.
1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- Food coloring paste
1. Stir together powdered sugar and 6 Tbsp. water. Tint glaze with desired amount of food coloring paste, and stir until blended.
Note: Purchase food coloring paste at cake-supply and crafts stores or supercenters.
Get Fancy! Fold pretty paper, punch holes, and secure cookies with ribbon. No time to pipe? Just dress up your cookies with pretty ribbon.
1 - 4 of 90
What to Cook Now
Food Photo Galleries
1 - 4 of 29