When pretzels (not deep-friend skin) deliver crunch, each serving of this recipe contains 75 percent less fat and 165 fewer calories.
• 1 whole(s) (3-pound) chicken
• 1 pound(s) unsalted fat-free sourdough pretzels
• 2 tablespoon(s) paprika
• Freshly ground pepper
• 1 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
• 2 egg whites
• 2 tablespoon(s) Dijon mustard
Plus: 6 Figure-Friendly (and Delicious!) Desserts »
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut chicken into 10 pieces: 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 wings, and 2 breasts (cut in half to yield 4 pieces). Remove skin and trim any fat. Set chicken aside.
2. Place pretzels in a heavy-duty, resealable plastic bag and crush into coarse crumbs. Mix in paprika, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 2 teaspoons pepper. Divide pretzel crumbs between 2 shallow dishes.
3. In a bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg whites, mustard, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Working with 1 piece at a time, dredge chicken in pretzel crumbs from first dish, then dip into buttermilk mixture, shaking off excess. Coat thoroughly with crumbs from second dish.
4. Place on parchment-lined baking pan and bake until chicken crust is crispy and an instant- read thermometer inserted into meat registers 165 degrees F, 40 to 50 minutes depending on piece.
See more from CountryLiving.com:
Our Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Decorating »
13 Salad Recipes Hearty Enough »
30-Minute Meals for Busy Nights »
20+ Fruity Cocktail Recipes »
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.