"Relax. Have fun with it. Don't get stressed out," says the cook, TV host, and author. "With a little planning, entertaining can be an easy pleasure." Try her recipe for potpies - they make perfect hors d'oeuvres.
Makes 12 potpies
½ cup chicken broth, Swanson
2 cans (10 ounces each) chicken breast, drained, Hormel
8 ounces frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots)
½ can (10.75-ounce) condensed cream of celery soup, Campbell's
1 tablespoon garlic-herb seasoning blend, McCormick
Ground black pepper
5 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed, Athens Foods
¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted
Related: Derek Brown's American Whiskey Punch
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange 12 oven-safe espresso (demitasse) cups about two inches apart on baking sheet; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat broth. Add chicken and frozen vegetables. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Add soup and seasoning blend. Cook and stir for another five minutes. Season to taste with pepper. Fill each cup with 1 heaping tablespoon of chicken mixture.
3. Lay out one sheet of phyllo dough (keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out). Brush phyllo with butter. Top with another sheet of phyllo. Brush phyllo with butter. Repeat brushing with butter and layering with three more sheets of phyllo (using five sheets for one stack). Cut stack in thirds lengthwise. Cut crosswise into fourths. There should be a total of 12 rectangles. Top each cup with a phyllo rectangle and fold corners toward sides of cups.
4. Bake about 25 minutes, or until phyllo turns golden brown and sheets puff up slightly. Serve warm.
2009 Sandra Lee. Recipe from Semi-Homemade Cocktail Time
More from House Beautiful:
- Browse 60+ Bold and Bright Spaces
Biggest Kitchen Design Mistakes
- Incredible Designer Kitchen Ideas
- Beautiful Designer Bedrooms
Become a fan of House Beautiful on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Pinterest!
Want more decorating advice and interior inspiration? Subscribe to House Beautiful and save up to 80%!