These Guilt-Free Margaritas skip sugary triple sec, instead gaining its flavor from fresh lime juice, agave syrup, orange zest, and mint-for a savings of 80 calories per cocktail.
• Juice of 15 limes (about 2 cups)
• 1 cup(s) anejo tequila
• 1/3 cup(s) dark agave syrup (see note)
• 1/4 teaspoon(s) dark agave syrup (see note), for glass rims
• 6 strip(s) orange zest
• 12 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon(s) sea salt
• 34 ice cubes
Plus: 17 Lightened-Up Versions of Your Favorite Recipes »
1. In a large pitcher, combine lime juice, tequila, and agave syrup. Rub each old-fashioned glass rim with 1 orange zest strip, then place zest in glass. Put 1/4 teaspoon agave in a small bowl, and combine mint and salt on a small plate. Dip your finger in syrup and rub along glass rims. Dip glasses in mint-salt mixture to coat rims. Put 4 ice cubes in each glass.
2. Place 5 ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Pour half the lime-tequila mixture into shaker and shake vigorously. Pour into 3 glasses. Repeat with remaining ice cubes and lime-tequila mixture.
See more from CountryLiving.com:
Our Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Decorating »
97 Grilling Recipes for an Epic Summer Cookout »
30-Minute Meals for Busy Nights »
20+ Fruity Cocktail Recipes »
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.