By Lydia Smyth
These fast, wholesome muffins are chock-full of the iconic flavors of fall. Best of all, though, they're packed with fiber, but not fat or calories. Photo by Con Poulos; food styling by Vivian Lui; prop styling by Marina Malchin
Yields: 12 muffins (cost per muffin of $0.34)
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: 10 min
Oven Temp: 400
Related: Discover 50 surprising foods under 100 calories.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Total Fat 6g
Saturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 25g
Dietary Fiber 4g
1 cup(s) whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup(s) wheat bran
3/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon(s) Kosher salt
1 cup(s) canned pure pumpkin
2 eggs 2/3 cup(s) buttermilk
1/4 cup(s) canola oil
Orange cream, for serving
Related: Ease stress with these 8 calming foods.
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, wheat bran, granulated sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, buttermilk and oil.
4. Fold the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture just until combined. Divide the batter among the lined muffin cups (about 1/3 cup each) and bake until a wooden pick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. If desired, serve the muffins with orange cream: In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, and 2 teaspoon grated orange zest.
You Might Also Like:
6 Stomach-Friendly Foods
The 10 Healthiest Snacks
10 Unexpected Foods to Avoid Before Having Sex
By Lydia Smyth