Thanksgiving, but flipping the calendar to November is enough to give me anxiety. This is the time of year when it's hard not to succumb to the flurry of busyness (parties! holidays! baking 'round the clock!). Deep breath. In an effort to stay zen for as long as humanly possible, we're streamlining dinner even more than usual. We're asking all home cooks and Shine readers to share your favorite one-dish dinner. Think casseroles, stews, and skillet suppers. Best yet: you could win an iconic red Dansk Kobenstyle 4-quart casserole from Crate and Barrel for all your future one-pot meals. Here's how to join us:
1. Write a blog post, on Shine or elsewhere, telling us about your favorite one-pot meal by Sunday 11:59PM PST, November 25th. Be sure to include a photo and a recipe.
2. Mention and link to the Shine Supper Club in your post: http://shine.yahoo.com/supper-club/
3. Tweet @YahooShine with a link to your post and include the hashtag #shinesupperclub. Aren't on Twitter? Email the link to email@example.com. We will compile the links for all participants to include in their posts so all Supper Club members can share in the link love.
4. The community will vote on the winning recipe to be featured on the Shine homepage and added to our winner's circle!
5. The winner scores a gorgeous red 4-quart Dansk Kobenstyle casserole from Crate and Barrel!
No purchase is necessary to participate, and the giveaway is open to U.S. residents who are 18 or older. The full rules for the giveaway can be found here.
Here's a recipe to kick things off!
Mexicali CasseroleMexicali Hamburger Casserole
1-1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1 15-oz. can Mexican-style diced tomatoes
1-1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tbsp. sugar
1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
1 Recipe Fresh Tomato Toss, (see below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In 12-inch skillet cook and brown beef; drain off fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes and 1 cup of the corn; heat through. Transfer to greased 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese.
- For corn bread topping, in medium bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in egg, milk, and oil. Evenly spread on beef mixture. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until topping is set. Let stand 5 minutes.
Fresh Tomato Toss: In bowl stir together 1 cup red grape tomatoes, halved, 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro, remaining 1/2 cup corn, and if desired, 1/3 cup green olives, halved; spoon over servings.