Hmmmmm, stuffing. It's my favorite part of Thanksgiving.... and the reason my holiday resolution NOT to overeat each year is DOA. I'm always looking for a lower-cal version of this Turkey Day staple and thanks toTaste of Home, I've got one this year!ingredients
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) day-old white bread, cubed
- 1 large tart apple, chopped
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a Dutch oven, cook the turkey, mushrooms, celery, onion, fennel seed, cayenne and nutmeg over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread, apple, sage, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Whisk eggs and broth; pour over bread mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top is lightly browned and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 226 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 654 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Taste of Home is at heart a friendly exchange of authentic family-favorite recipes handed down over generations and shared among loved ones. Taste of Home recipes are from home cooks and feature familiar, everyday ingredients; clear, beautiful photos; and easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions. Each recipe is individually tested by culinary experts in our Test Kitchens.
More from GalTime.com: