by Cari Coulter, RD, LD for GalTime.com
Healthy Mashed Potatoes Favorite Side Dish Made Healthy
Mashed potatoes made right please everyone in the house, at the table and moving through the buffet. Here's our favorite way to enjoy this classic holiday comfort side dish with a third of the calories, none of the fat and lots of creamy deliciousness! Be sure to compare the calorie and fat count for this dish with the tally for traditional recipes (you'll find that at the end) so you will smile even bigger with each bite.
MASHED POTATOES MAKEOVER
16 oz potatoes
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup fat-free sour cream
½ cup fat -free vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste
RELATED Mac n' Cheese Made Healthier
1. Boil potatoes until tender.
2. Drain potatoes and transfer to large mixing bowl.
3. On slow speed, begin whipping potatoes. Slowly add sour cream, broth, and seasonings.
4. Whip until smooth consistency is reached.
Yield: 4- ½ cup servings
Fat 0 g
Protein 4.5 g
Traditional Mashed Potatoes
Nutritional Information (per 4 oz):
Fat 33 g
- Use fat-free sour cream, skim milk and buttermilk instead of cream and butter
- Add flavor with seasonings, broth and minced garlic instead of fat
- Mix in a couple tablespoons of ranch dressing seasoning for added flavor
More from GalTime.com:
- Healthy Holiday Swaps: What To Ditch And Dish
- How To Make Classic Holiday Eggnog
- Holiday Breakfast: Apple Raisin Crepes
- 5 Things You Can Do to Lose 5 Pounds