Awards Night Sugar Cookies From Bakerella
Having people over to watch the Academy Awards on Sunday? We've got some ideas for a glamorous Oscar Night soiree...
Recreate a night out at the movies with easy concessions stand-inspired foods:
- Popcorn. Classic buttered-flavor is always a crowd-pleaser, but you can also make this snack more special by sprinkling the following toppings over top: cinnamon-sugar; Italian herbs and Parmesan cheese; or spicy taco seasoning.
- Candy. Treat your guests to the classic movie theater offerings: Milk Duds, Raisinets, Jujyfruits, Red Vines, and Sno Caps! . Download festive DIY Popcorn Bags and Candy Bags on Twig & Thistle.
- Pretzels. Make your own big, soft pretzels (just like the ones sold at the theater) and sprinkle them with salt or cinnamon-sugar.
- Nachos. Multi-grain tortilla chips with queso is an upscale take on the classic movie theater nachos. And, the queso doubles as a dip for your pretzels.
Check out Epicurious.com for even more Oscar-themed menu ideas.
You can't go wrong with champagne, sparkling wine, or sparkling juice-after all, that's what all the stars will be sipping! Or, offer a fun cocktail in honor of one of the Best Picture nominees:
- Blue Curacao Cocktail (Avatar): Shake 1 oz vodka, 1/2 oz Blue Curacao liquor, and 1/2 oz orange juice. Pour into champagne flute. Top with 3.5 oz sparkling wine.
- Cherry Bomb Cocktail (The Hurt Locker): Mix 1 oz vodka, 1.5 oz creme de cacao, and 3/4 oz grenadine syrup. Serve over ice.
Check out Chow.com for more Oscar-themed cocktails.
Fun and Games:
1. Tell guests to dress like their favorite nominee or celebrity. (I call dibs on Meryl Streep as Julia Child!)
2. Download Oscar Ballots and have guests predict the winners, wagering money if you so desire.
3. In order to keep things interesting during the long speeches and commercial breaks, my friends sometimes "expand" the scope of the traditional Oscar ballot, adding (rather humorous) additional bets. Some additional wagers could include:
- How many celebrities blow off Ryan Seacrest on the red carpet?
- How many bad jokes Steve Martin makes during the course of the evening?
- How many stars are drunk during their acceptance speech?
Check out Slashfood.com for more tips for an Award-Winning Oscar party.
Are you having in Oscar Night Party this year?