The "perfect bite" is like the holy grail of the food world and that's why it makes the perfect challenge for the 14 competitors at the Food Experiments World Championship at the Brooklyn Brewery in New York City. People came from all over the United States (and Sweden!) to battle it out to see who could master the right combination of flavors and textures to make the perfect bite. And the winner is:
The perfect biteJewel Crusted Shrimp with Avocado Wasabi Aioli
40 large shrimp
Shrimp Marinade (1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 olive oil, 6 cloves of minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste)
1 cup flour seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and parsley dust
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons milk
The Crust (1 cup Panko & 2 cups of mixed finely chopped pistachios, cashews, wasabi peas, dried cranberries, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 teaspoon mixed fresh herbs & 1 teaspoon crushed dried chili)
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
Avocado Wasabi Crème
2 ripe avocados
2 teaspoons fresh wasabi
¼ cup lemon juice
½ cup mayonnaise
Season with salt & white pepper to taste
1. Marinate the cleaned, peeled and deveined shrimp in the marinade for 1 hour.
2. Add seasoned flour to a shallow dish for dredging.
3. In a bowl, beat together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and parsley.
4. Add the Panko/nuts crust mixture to a second shallow dish.
5. Dredge shrimp in flour, then egg mixture, and coat with the nuts and panko mixture.
6. Pour oil in a heavy skillet and heat to medium-high.
7. Place 8 to 10 shrimp in the hot oil and cook until golden brown for 1 to 2 minutes.
8. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and season with sea salt.
9. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
10. Blend all ingredients for the Avocado Wasabi Crème using a hand blender until smooth and creamy.
11. Serve shrimp with Avocado Wasabi Crème on the side.