Fabio gives away the secret on how to choose and cook the perfect steak.
- The right cooking technique will improve any piece of meat -- leaner meats are best for roasting or grilling, fattier meat are good for braising and broiling.
- Marbling determines how juicy your steak will be.
- Always let the steak reach room temperature before cooking.
- Searing 101: sear at a high heat immediately to crisp the outside of the steak. Turn the heat lower once the second side has seared to maintain the melt-in-your mouth pink on the inside.
- Using a fresh herb brush to brush oil on to the steak will infuse the steak with amazing fresh flavors.
The perfect steak
THE PERFECT STEAK
Recipe by Fabio Viviani
Yields 2 servings
20 oz. Bone-in rib eye
Pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. plus 2-4 Tbsp. EVOO
3 cloves garlic
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig thyme
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp. butter
Season the steak with pepper on both sides.
Heat skillet over medium high heat until very hot.
Add 2 Tbsp. EVOO to the pan and place the steak in the pan, allow it to cook on one side for 2-3 min without moving or poking the meat.
While the steak is cooking, chop the garlic and put it in the remaining EVOO.
Take the sprigs of rosemary and thyme, wrap the ends with aluminum foil to keep them together and use them as a brush to brush the garlic oil on the steak while it is cooking.
After 2-3 min flip the steak over again, and salt that side as well, brushing all sides with the herb brush of garlic oil.
Add the butter to the top of the steak, and let it melt as the steak cooks.
When the steak is cooked, remove from pan to a board or plate and allow the steak to rest for approximately 5 min.
Slice and serve.