Everyone loves the gooey richness of French onion soup -- but not the excess fat and salt. So we swapped in olive oil for butter and added a dash of soy sauce to chicken broth to mimic the savory depth of salty beef stock. Finally, we blanketed our dish with Gruyère and reduced-fat Swiss -- because what's onion soup without the cheese? Our version has 890 fewer calories, 21g less saturated fat, and 2,230mg less sodium than traditional French onion soup.
- 1 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large (10 to 12 ounces each) red onions, very thinly sliced
- 3 sprig(s) fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup(s) dry red wine
- 1 can(s) (14- to 14 1/2-ounce) lower-sodium chicken broth (1 3/4 cups)
- 2 1/4 cup(s) water
- 2 teaspoon(s) lower-sodium soy sauce
- 4 slice(s) (1/2-inch thick each) whole wheat baguette
- 1 teaspoon(s) cornstarch
- 1 1/4 ounce(s) shredded Gruyère cheese (1/4 cup)
- 4 slice(s) reduced-fat Swiss cheese
1. In 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy saucepot, heat oil on medium-high. Stir in onions, thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover partially. Cook 15 to 17 minutes or until onions are golden brown and very tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Add wine and simmer 2 to 4 minutes or until reduced by half. Add broth, water, and soy sauce. Heat to boiling on high, then reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer; simmer 20 minutes.
3. Arrange oven rack 6 inches from broiler heat source. Preheat broiler. Place bread slices in jelly-roll pan. Broil 30 to 60 seconds or until golden brown. Divide among four 8-ounce ovenproof soup crocks or ramekins.
Related: Super Healthy Soup and Stew Recipes
4. In small bowl, stir cornstarch and 1 tablespoon soup liquid from pot until cornstarch dissolves. Stir into soup and simmer 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Discard thyme. Divide soup among soup crocks.
5. Sprinkle Gruyère evenly over soup, then place 1 slice Swiss on top of each crock. Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve hot.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories 260; Total Fat 11g; Saturated Fat 4g; Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 650mg; Total Carbohydrate 30g; Dietary Fiber 5g; Protein 14g
More from Good Housekeeping: