For years, no bottle was legally allowed to leave Mexico with the word "tequila" on it if it contained artificial flavors. The stuff had to be pure or it didn't get the label. That's why we never saw Jose Cuervo Blueberry or Cinnamon Patron. In 2004, the Tequila Regulatory Council of Mexico finally allowed flavored tequilas (except pure agave tequila) to be fruitful and multiply. But the rush to release wacky taste sensations never happened. A few companies produced lime- and orange-flavored tequilas. That was about it.
Today, a new tequila was announced, and I can't tell if this sounds like a groovy, no-brainer slam-dunk of an inevitable partnership or merely a way to slap the ole logo on yet another consumable. Say hello to Tabasco brand Spicy Tequila, slated to hit store shelves this month.
I haven't sampled any yet so I can't tell if it tastes good or bad. Here's what we do know:
1) It will cost $22 per 750ml bottle. Quite reasonable.
2) The first markets to see the stuff will be Dallas, Houston, Georgia, Indiana, and North Carolina.
3) You can thank Heaven Hill Distilleries for this hot hooch.
4) Technically, this is not the first spicy tequila. A brand called 267 came out with an infused chili pepper flavor more than a year ago.
5) If you like your Bloody Mary or Margarita HOT, this product could help keep your Tabasco bills down.
James Oliver Cury is the executive editor of Epicurious.com. He is a member of the James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards Committee and has been a judge at the Culinary Institute of America, the Jack Daniels World Barbecue Championship, and the Food Network's Iron Chef show. He's written for dozens of magazines, including Esquire, Playboy, Details, Entertainment Weekly, Maxim, Men's Journal, SPIN, Glamour , US Magazine, Food & Wine, and Every Day with Rachael Ray.
MORE FROM EPICURIOUS.COM:
Recipes & Menus
Epicurious.com's portfolio of dishes for all seasons, cuisines and occasions
The Epicurious Editors' Blog
Food News and Views From All Over
Delicious menu guides for the busy work week
Epicurious Technique Videos
See better approaches to preparing your meals
Assorted galleries featuring pictures and recipes from Epicurious.com