Are you hooked on Mad Men, the Emmy-winning AMC series about drinking advertising in the early 1960s? If so, then you know that the show can easily put you in the mood for a cocktail, with its three-martini lunches and meetings over bloody Marys. It's a great showcase for classic libations, so before the next episode airs on Sunday, mix up one of these eight great drinks featured on the show.
Photo Courtesy AMC
- Martini - Roger Sterling is often seen knocking back martinis. The classic dry version uses vodka or gin, dry vermouth, and olives.
- Old Fashioned - Don Draper is a brown-liquor man who is known to order old fashioned cocktails, made with whiskey, bitters, and a touch of sugar.
- Tom Collins - This sweet and sour gin cocktail is perfect for Summer parties - so perfect that Don teaches his 6-year-old how to make them for guests.
- Brandy Alexander - A milky mix of brandy, cream, and creme de cacao, the brandy Alexander helps Peggy through an unsuccessful date in one episode.
- Campari on the Rocks - Art director Salvatore is partial toward Campari, a classic Italian apertif. He orders his with a twist, rather than in a Negroni cocktail. For something different, try this Campari Squeeze with a touch of grapefruit juice.
- Vodka Gimlet - Betty Draper has been known to sip gimlets, a classic cocktail made with gin or vodka and lime juice, served up.
- Mai Tai - In season one, Don has drinks with a client named Rachel Menken, who boldly orders a mai tai in a dimly lit lounge. This tiki drink is made with dark rum and orgeat syrup.
- Sambuca Con Mosca - In a pivotal scene in season one, Salvatore explains that sambuca con mosca - Italian anise liqueur with espresso beans - translates to sambuca "with flies."
Happy Hour: Happy Apple Rum Twist
Happy Hour: Classic Champagne Cocktail
Happy Hour: Tom Collins