When looking for a snack, you are often forced to find a sweet snack or a salty snack. Depending on your taste buds, having to choose one over the other can be a bit limiting. So, when I was asked to try Sahale Snack's Glazed nuts, I was pleasantly surprised by the sweet-salty mixture that satisfied both my salt-hound tendencies, as well as my sweet tooth.
Sahale Snacks was started by two Climbers who felt the trail mixes they noshed on during a climb of Mt. Rainier were rather uninspiring. Wanting something more, they decided to create snacks that used whole foods, avoided processed and artificial ingredients, yet incorporated a bit of "culinary magic." So what can you look forward to if you take Sahale on a climb of your own?
- Unique Flavor: Their Glazed Nut Products come in three flavors: Almond PB&J, Almonds with Cranberries, Honey and Sea Salt, and Cashews with Pomegranate and Vanilla. All three flavors are unique, but the Almond PB&J, which is made with peanuts and berries, is especially tasty with a real 'peanut butter and jelly' flavor.
- Whole Ingredients: The more whole the ingredients the better. Why? Because you will feel more satisfied for a longer period of time than if you eat a snack with processed ingredients. The only ingredients these tasty snacks contain which I would take small umbrage with are the evaporated cane juice and the brown sugar. These aren't nearly as bad as white sugar or artificial sweeteners but they are still processed. Still, they do utilize fruits and fruit juices for most of the sweet flavoring in their nut blends.
- Nutritional Value: Obviously, these are nut snacks...making them naturally high in fat. However, the fat content of these nibbles is made up mostly of mono and polyunsaturated fats, making them heart healthy and cholesterol free. Further, because these snacks are mixed with fruits, the fat content is lower than if you were to eat nuts on their own.
- Satisfaction: Because of the fat content, these snacks are satiating and will keep you filled up until meal time rolls around.
- Snack Size Packs: Sahale Glazed nuts come in two sizes: 0.75 oz and 4 oz. The good news is that 0.75 ounces is a perfect snack size and will keep you from over-indulging. Remember, even healthy fats should be eaten in moderation!
- Overall Recommendation: When it comes to overall quality of ingredients and taste, Sahale Snacks' Glazed Nuts get a thumbs up. Nutritionally, I provide a word of caution: I recommend snacks that are high in fiber (2 gms per 100 calories), have moderate fat (2 - 3 gms per 100 calories) and contain some protein, with a ratio of nutrients somewhere between 20 - 30% fat, 20% - 40% protein and 30% - 60% carbs. These snacks' ratios fall somewhere in the range of 60 - 64% fat, 11% - 14% protein and 18% - 29% carbs. As a result, I would recommend that if you were to eat these, make sure to limit your fat intake during the rest of the day so that your overall fat intake ratio stays within the 20 - 30% range.
Where can you get these snacks? You can buy them here: Sahale Snacks Glazed Nut Variety Pack Of 3 Flavors, 4-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 6) Otherwise, they retail their products through gourmet, specialty, and natural grocery stores, cafes, outdoor and recreation stores.
Have you had Sahale Snacks before? What did you think?