Grapefruit MeringuesI'm hosting a party for a dear friend who can't have dairy. Of course, homemade sweets are essential to any gathering, so I've planned a dairy-free spread of desserts. Rather than use dairy-free substitutes for the real thing, I prefer to bake treats that taste better without any dairy. Here are 5 delicious ones:
1. Angel Food Cake: Egg whites give this cake its ethereal lift and ground hazelnuts add a delicious richness. A dusting of confectioners' sugar makes it pretty enough for the party.
2. Wine Poached Pears: I love the deep burgundy hue of the pears. To serve, I place each one in a dish and serve with scoops of different shades of pink sorbets (strawberry, raspberry, peach).
3. Grapefuit Meringue Nests with Mixed Berries: Sweet red grapefruits make all the difference here. The aromatic zest is in the meringues and the juice flavors the berries.
4. Crunchy Chocolate Biscotti: Our Food Director, Susan Westmoreland, created this crunchy cookie recipe for her dad. Chock full of nuts and dried fruit and rich with cocoa, they're immensely satisfying and great with coffee.
5. Hot and Sweet Nut Brittle: Crunchy and spiced, these bites are the best way to end a meal. I'm going to wrap them in bags to give as party favors too.
Not being able to have dairy doesn't mean you can't enjoy dessert. I hope my friend feels the same way after trying these treats!
-By Genevieve Ko
- 12 Makeup Mistakes That Make You Look Old
8 Steps To A Successful Marriage
Best Anti-Aging Beauty Products
- 30 Best Drugstore Beauty Buys Under $25
- 5 Best Haircuts of All Time