The weather may be warming up, but don't store away that slow cooker just yet! Put it to work just like you would in winter, piling on the meat and veggies and letting them simmer away for hours. But the trick is to opt for dishes on the lighter side, like those featured here: smoky beef brisket for sandwiches, spicy and sweet Cuban-style pork and bright-tasting green chicken chili. Whatever you choose, it'll make a fuss-free and fantastic springtime dinner.Learn how to get slow-cooker recipes right every time.
Spring Vegetable & Chicken Stew Recipe
By Woman's Day Kitchen from Woman's Day; June 2, 2009 | June 2, 2009
If you steer clear of stews because they're too heavy, try this healthy combination of chicken thighs, baby carrots, leek, asparagus and peas punched up in a white wine and tarragon broth.
- 1 slow-cooker liner (we used Reynolds)
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in chunks
- 2 cups baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, sliced (2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 jar (12 oz) chicken gravy
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 8 oz fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut in 1- to 2-in. lengths
- 1⁄3 cup thawed frozen peas
Recipe Preparation1. Line a 3-qt or larger slow-cooker with liner. Put chicken, carrots, leeks and tarragon in slow-cooker. Pour in gravy. Put wine, flour and salt in gravy jar; cover and shake to mix. Pour into slow-cooker; toss to coat. Cover and cook on low 5 to 8 hours until chicken and vegetables are tender.
2. Turn to high. Add asparagus; cover and cook on high 10 to 15 minutes until asparagus are crisp-tender. Stir in peas.
- Yield 6 servings
- Servings 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 207
- Total Fat 5g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 99mg
- Sodium 567mg
- Total Carbohydrates 15g
- Dietary Fiber 2g
- Protein 25g
7 MORE SLOW-COOKED RECIPES FOR SPRING:
Slow Cooker Chicken Marbella
Related articles on WomansDay.com:6 Fresh Springtime Pastas
7 Spring Harvest Salads
9 Splendid Spring Party Cakes