Like most women, I've been collecting and hoarding black clothes since the Eighties. I'm not even that fussy about labels, so they run the gamut from Gap to Gucci. As a fashion editor I know the power of wearing black and always encouraged women to take advantage of its benefits. Black looks great 24/7. It's seasonless and enables you to mix fabrics, random pieces, expensive and inexpensive, casual and dressy, with the confidence of a stylist. The truth is, though, we're all a little bored with black by now.
But there's one easy trend that will make you happy: Nude. Nude is the new black, and it also looks great paired with the old black. Nude is the sexier word for beige in all its variations-camel, cream, fawn, taupe, and sand for starters. Nude is neutral, elegant, sexy, classy, and worn head to toe can be as slimming as black. Here are ten super-wearables, all in nudes that are on trend:
1. THE COWL NECK BLOUSE - Vince blouse ($220, www.neimanmarcus.com). This softly draped style has elbow-length sleeves so you can leave your cardigan home.
2. THE SLOUCHY SWEATER - J. Crew "Saturday sweater" in merino/ linen ($69.50, www.jcrew.com). You will love the de-aging details like skinnier arms, drop shoulder, long easy fit and flattering ballet neckline-get it in marled fawn.
3. HIGH-WAIST 70s PANTS - Robert Rodriguez cotton/ spandex wide-leg pants ($275, www.saksfifthavenue.com). Swap your cropped capris for the new wide leg pants that sit at your natural waist.
4. THE FLAP/CHAIN SHOULDER BAG - Tory Burch straw flap shoulder bag ($350, www.saksfifthavenue.com). Neat and tailored looks are suddenly appealing. Time to ditch the huge hobo and pare down.5. THE TRENCH DRESS - BCBGMaxAzria "Alex" trench coat dress with 3/4 sleeves ($198, www.lordandtaylor.com). This silk dress flows over curves but keeps definition at the waist.
6. THE NUDE PENCIL SKIRT - Halogen cotton/ poly sateen pencil skirt ($59, www.bloomingdales.com).Try this with nude pumps for a long lean look.
7. THE SKINNY BELT - Tarnish flower faux leather belt ($28, www.nordstrom.com). Define long boyfriend cardigans and any blazer or dress with this season's super-thin waist cincher. Trends up all in seconds.
8. THE FEMININE SWEATER - Ann Taylor cowl neck short sleeve sweater ($88, www.anntaylor.com). This silky rayon sweater looks great with simple tailored skirts or pants and softer wrap, tulip or tiered skirts. Buy it in driftwood even though you'll be tempted by the black.
9. THE PERFECT SPRING TRENCH - Ann Taylor notch collar trench in cotton/poly blend ($248, www.anntaylor.com). Every brand has a trench coat now, but this one has a perfect fit and the kind of high armholes / narrow sleeves usually found only in pricier versions. I adore the animal print lining and so will you.
10. THE NUDE LADY PUMP - Michael Michael Kors ' Flex "pump ($97.95, www.nordstrom.com). Skip the pricier versions by Manolo Blahnik, Dior and Valentino and pick up these ladylike two-inch heels in taupe. Same leg lengthening benefits.
Also Popular on ThirdAge
The Best Boomer Celebrity Hairdos
Have a Flatter Tummy by Tonight
When I'm Asked for Marriage Advice