Banish the chill lurking in the room and warm up lost souls with spicy ham sandwiches and a speedy winter squash soup. Roll up some sugar cookie dough into the shape of fingers for a wicked dessert that points right to Halloween at the end of the week.
- Quick Winter Squash Soup with Spicy Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Deviled Ham and Pecan Tea Sandwiches
- Finger Cookies
Wine Suggestions: Chablis or Chardonnay
Deviled Ham and Pecan Tea Sandwiches
Gourmet | January 2008
Yield: Makes 32 tea sandwiches
Active time: 25 min
Total time: 25 min
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, quartered
- 3 large sweet gherkins
- 1/2 cup pecans,toasted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 16 slices firm white sandwich bread
- Garnish: chopped parsley and pecans
Pulse all ingredients except bread in a food processor until finely chopped and combined well.
Spread ham mixture (1/4 cup per sandwich) between slices of bread. Discard crusts, then cut sandwiches into triangles.
Cooks' note: Sandwiches can be chilled, covered with dampened paper towels, then plastic wrap, 3 hours.
Photo by Romulo Yanes
MORE FROM EPICURIOUS.COMDelicious recipes and tip to help you make tastier sandwiches