As the heat cranks up during those hot summer months, it's time to cool things off by throwing a casual beach bash. So the nearest beach is several hundred miles away? Don't sweat it -- bust out those bikinis and beach balls and prepare for some fun in the sun, right in your own backyard. It's a crowd-pleaser that entertains adults and kids alike -- and something that's easy to throw together quickly. Plus, no one has to deal with sand in their shoes!
- Create your own invitations using your favorite beach accessory -- from cheap plastic sunglasses to starfish (can be purchased online) to frisbees. Enclose the goody in a padded envelope or gift bag along with a colorful card containing all the details. You can even order custom printed mini frisbees online -- they require a little lead time, but what a fun idea!
- Purchase some giant blow-up beach balls and sand. Use the sand to fill glass vases and bowls -- then fill them with tall green grass, shells and coral, or votive candles. Small galvanized metal buckets are another great accent and can be filled with candies, decorative sea glass, or munchies.
- Keep food casual. Whip up an array of sandwiches like PB&J, egg salad, tuna, and turkey and avocado with cucumber. Skewer cubes of watermelon, pineapple and green grapes to refresh guests. And load up on good old-fashioned potato chips with onion dip.
- Serve up big batches of iced tea and lemonade -- experiment with different variations if you're feeling adventurous. Maybe an iced mint tea, or a raspberry lemonade.
- Fill a cooler with ice cream treats -- everything from fudge bars to ice cream sandwiches and fruit pops.
- Crank up some of those tried and true oldies, along with a few modern faves: Beach Boys, Will Smith ("Summertime"), Lauryn Hill, Bob Marley, The Four Seasons.
- Put up a volleyball net for those who want a little beach-inspired fun. And for those who prefer to relax in the shade, put out a basket of paperback novels and a set of checkers. For the kiddos, all you need is a sprinkler going at full speed!
For more tips on living stylishly, check out our website FoxyandCo.com and our latest book, Curves Rules And Flat Is Fabulous: Sexy, Stylish Looks For Every Figure.