- Angie Greenup | Summer Shape-Up | Wed, Jul 25, 2012 6:49 PM EDT | Comments
This week, Summer Shape Up paid a visit to celebrity fitness trainer Harley Pasternak to get the skinny on perfect abs. The creator of the Five Factor Diet has trained Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Halle Berry, and most recently began working with Weight Watchers spokesperson Jessica Simpson. Harley believes having a healthy body overall begins with a nutritious diet. However, when it comes to having killer abs like the A-listers, it's a strict combination of diet and exercise. Here are a few key ingredients that Harley suggests to get a flat tummy.
-Egg Whites are a good source of protein that helps to build leaner muscle. You can make an egg white scramble and add veggies such as spinach and broccoli.
-Apples are packed with fiber and makes you feel fuller longer. It's also a quick snack to quiet cravings, and it's a delicious fruit to add to smoothies.
-Spinach is another ingredient that's perfect for flat abs. This leafy green is low in calories and helps your muscl...Read More »
- Shape Magazine | Summer Shape-Up | Wed, Jul 25, 2012 10:29 AM EDT | Commentsby Charlotte Andersen for SHAPE.com
What your personal trainer really wants to say!
Have you ever wondered what's going through your bootcamp instructor's head when he's not barking orders? Or if your yoga teacher notices when you slip out before the final savasana? We interviewed a handful of group fitness instructors, who will remain anonymous, to find out what they wish they could really shout into those mics sometimes.
1. Stop staring at me: "Don't just stare blankly at me through the whole class. It gets creepy. Smile. Or at least look around."
2. Please laugh at my jokes: "Laugh at my jokes! Please! It can be hard standing up in front of everyone and trying to keep the energy going."
3. Yes, I'm talking to you: "If you think I'm talking to you, I'm talking to you."
RELATED: 10 Fitness Tips from CrossFit's Elite
4. Wear underwear to class: "I don't want to see all your business. Please wear longer, looser shorts. And underwear !"
5. Leave your phone at home: "Never text in class! It's beyond disrespectful!"
6. I'm here to hel...Read More »
- Shape Magazine | Summer Shape-Up | Fri, Jul 20, 2012 11:02 AM EDT | CommentsCreating a bucket list of things you want to do before you die won't do much good if you're not healthy enough to follow through on them. So before you make good on your plans to run with the bulls or swim with the dolphins, why not make a separate fitness bucket list?
What's on your fitness bucket list?
Each of the following challenges targets a different aspect of fitness, from endurance to flexibility and strength. Once you've mastered one, strive to go to the next level by adding intensity, time, or reps. For example, once you finish a 10K, try training for a half-marathon . Read on for seven goals every fit woman should conquer and expert tips on the why and how.1. Do 25 pushups: Mastering the ability to perform 25 pushups is a very reasonable, realistic, and reachable goal for most women, says Timothy L. Miller, MD, assistant professor at the Ohio State University Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine, OSU Track and Field Team Physician, and co-director the OSU Endurance Medicine Team. Benefits i...Read More »
Do 25 pushups
- Quaker Oatmeal | Summer Shape-Up | Mon, Jul 23, 2012 12:26 PM EDT | CommentsIf I left the choice to them, my daughters would eat cupcakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Thankfully, it's not entirely up to them, and I still get a say in what fuel they put into their little bodies. I work hard to make sure they eat a well-balanced diet rich in whole grains, fiber, protein, and all the vitamins they need to help them grow big and strong. Simultaneously, I need to work to avoid too much sugar (without shutting down their sweet tooth completely). A low-sugar breakfast is a great way to start your child's day.
Try these low sugar options kids will love.
Start with Oatmeal
My children love that oatmeal is a hot breakfast option. I love that it's faster and easier than eggs and toast, and my children can (usually) handle its preparation all by themselves. Low in sugar and high in soluble fiber, Quaker Instant Oatmeal is a great breakfast choice for kids of all ages. Add the following to round out your healthy breakfast:
Add Scrambled Eggs & Toast
Though we're usually pressed for time in the morni...Read More »
- Angie Greenup | Summer Shape-Up | Wed, Jul 18, 2012 3:01 PM EDT | Comments
Getting in shape sometimes isn't fun, but hula hooping puts a cool spin on fitness. "Summer Shape Up" stopped by the "Hoopnotica" studio to see how easy it is to shed pounds by using a hula hoop. Beyonce', Olivia Wilde, and Marisa Tomei have all enjoyed staying in shape with "Hoopnotica." The fat-burning workout strengthens your core and is an excellent cardio exercise. Their weighted hula hoop can help you burn 400 to 600 calories. Here's a few "Hoopnotica" fit moves that will blast the fat and keep you young at heart.
Waist Hooping- Place one foot in front of the other and spin the hula hoop around your waist. Rock forward and backward with you hips, while pulling your abs towards your spine. It's a great core exercise.
Lunge Hooping- Place one foot in front of the other and bend your knees into a lunge position. Spin the hula hoop around your waist, while lunging up and down. Lunge hooping tightens up your core and glutes.
Ninja Pass- Begin in a plié' position with toes...Read More »