By Nicole Nichols, Managing Editor and Fitness Expert at SparkPeople
People often say that they don't have time to exercise, but I disagree. Everyone can spare 10 minutes a day to work out. One of my personal goals is to do something active every day, even if it's just for 10 minutes. So even on my busiest days, I won't make excuses. And I definitely won't convince myself that 10 minutes is too little to really matter. Ten minutes DOES matter-and it really does add up to big benefits for your body. If all you only did 10 minutes of exercise per day, that's 70 minutes and potentially 700+ calories that you could burn over the course of a week.
So when you're short on time and can only muster a short workout, intensity is key. Work harder for the most benefit and the biggest calorie burn for your buck. Really make those minutes count! Here are tons of workouts that burn around 100 calories (or more) in just 10 minutes, while also strengthening your heart and lungs and helping your blast stress. Now THAT is a worthwhile way to spend a few minutes of your time.
20 Ways Burn 100 Calories* in 10 Minutes
- Cycling (12+ mph) or mountain biking
- Running (at least 12 minutes per mile)
- Swimming laps or treading water
- Playing basketball
- Spinning class or stationary biking
- Martial arts
- Digging (heavy yard work)
- Jumping rope (continuously)
- Jumping jacks
- Rock climbing
- Walking on the treadmill (at least 4 mph with a 5% incline)
- Water jogging
- Kettlebell training
- SparkPeople's Jump Start Cardio workout
- SparkPeople's Bootcamp Cardio workout
- SparkPeople's Kickboxing workout
- SparkPeople's Jump Rope workout
What's your favorite way to burn a lot of calories in a little bit of time?
Lose Weight in 10 Minutes Per Day
When Less Exercise is More
A 5-Minute Workout to Work Your Butt Off
SparkPeople Fitness Expert Nicole Nichols is an ACE-certified personal trainer and AFAA-certified group fitness instructor. You can learn more about Nicole and her workout DVDs here.