Serve these lightly-breaded chicken fingers with zucchini and marinara dipping sauce for a quick and tasty meal.
Yields: 4 main-dish servings
Total Time: 30 min
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup(s) panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs), toasted
- 1/3 cup(s) freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
- 1 1/2 pound(s) chicken tenders
- 3 medium (8 ounces) zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup(s) prepared marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup(s) loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped, plus small whole basil leaves for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Place rack in 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" jelly-roll pan; spray pan and rack with cooking spray.
2. On plate, combine panko, Pecorino, ground red pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
3. In pie plate, whisk egg whites and garlic until well mixed.
4. One at a time, dip chicken tenders in egg-white mixture, then into panko mixture to coat evenly; press firmly so mixture adheres. Arrange chicken on rack in jelly-roll pan; spray chicken lightly with cooking spray.
5. Bake chicken 10 to 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown and chicken is no longer pink throughout.
6. While chicken cooks, in microwave-safe medium bowl, place zucchini and 2 tablespoons water. Cover with vented plastic wrap and cook in microwave on High 5 minutes or until zucchini is just fork-tender. Carefully remove plastic wrap and drain zucchini; stir in lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
7. Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepot, heat marinara sauce on medium-low 5 minutes or until hot, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepot from heat and stir in chopped basil. Serve dipping sauce with chicken fingers and zucchini; garnish chicken and dipping sauce with basil leaves.
More from Good Housekeeping: