Stay healthy and beautiful all summer.As you spend more time at the beach, by the pool, or just enjoying the great outdoors this season, make sure you're taking good care of your hair! Color-treated hair is especially vulnerable to the effects of UV rays, chlorine, and salt water because it's already partially damaged. Hair can become very dry and brittle in the heat and humidity so you need to take steps to keep hair moisturized and your scalp hydrated. Wearing some sun protective accessories can also keep your hair soft and healthy all season long.
Here are some tips for keeping color-treated hair safe from sun and pool damage this summer:
1. Use a deep conditioning treatment once a week. A good deep conditioner is one of the best investments you can make for summer and will help to keep color treated hair smooth and soft. These conditioners need to be left in your hair for at least five to ten minutes so plan on using them during a longer shower or bath session.
2. Protect hair with a heat protectant spray. Heat protectant sprays are part of my daily hair care routine year round but I use more during the summertime because I'm spending more time in the sun. These sprays contain ingredients that nourish the hair and prevent breakage.
3. Don't wash your hair in very hot water. Hot water strips your hair and scalp of moisture and can make color treated hair even more vulnerable to breakage. Wash your hair in lukewarm water and "seal" the cuticles shut with a cool rinse. Remember that your scalp can become very dry or even sunburned with too much sun exposure. Protect the hair on your scalp just like you would protect delicate patches of skin with a cooler rinse and gentle washing session.
4. Wear a sun protective hat. Purchase a UV hat for the summer to ward off the effects of the sun whenever you're outdoors. The hat can prevent your hair color from fading and will also protect your hair and scalp from the harmful effects of the sun.
5. Use hair sunscreen regularly. Spritz your hair with a sun protective hair spray or hair sunscreen. Many contain green tea extract and vitamin E to protect hair from free radical damage. You can also find some formulas with Shea butter and natural oils that will condition your hair all day long. The sun-protective ingredients will ward off UVA and UVB damage so that your color doesn't fade before the season ends.Content by Sabah Karimi .