In my quest to mix my Mexican heritage and my American culture, I had to make paletas that are festive and delicious for the 4th of July holiday. Something I could whip out mid-day and dazzle the kids with. I used two of my favorite berries and a nice dose of chia seed lemonade. I know my son is already a fan of paletas, so hopefully he will love the idea of this celebration on a stick. They kind of remind me of rocket ships headed for the sky!
Ingredients for Paletas:
- 1 - cup fresh strawberries
- 1 - cup sugar
- 2 - cups water
- 4 - lemons (juiced)
- 1 - tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 - cup fresh blueberries
- Popsicle / Paletas mold
- In the blender add strawberries, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup water. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the first layer into popsicle molds filling them only 1/3 of the way up.
- Freeze first layer for 2 hours.
- While first layer is freezing, mix lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar in a bowl. Mix until sugar is completely dissolved. Then add in 1 cup water and chia seeds. set to the side until ready for next layer.
- Once first layer is set / frozen pour the lemonade mixture into the molds to fill up to 2/3 of the container. Place back in the freezer for 1 1/2 hours.
- In the blender add blueberries, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup water. Blend until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the molds to top off the paletas.
- Before placing into the freezer insert sticks into paletas and then place into the freezer over night.
- To unmold place paleta molds into a bath of warm water for 15 seconds then pull upward to unmold.
- Place unmolded paletas on a cookie sheet and let them continue to freeze for a minimum of 2 hours then put them in a ziplock till ready to serve. They will keep for up to a month.
-By Nicole Presley
For 8 crazy delicious iced coffee recipes, visit Babble!
MORE ON BABBLE
7 frozen desserts you can make with fresh fruit
7 cakes made from crazy (and delicious!) ingredients
15 incredibly refreshing summer cocktail recipes