Does it take forever to get your family out the door in the morning? Getting ready for work and school can make you exhausted before you even leave the house. Dr. Natalie Azar joins Ereka for this episode of "Easy Does It" to share helpful ideas for speeding up your family's morning routine.
1. Get up 15 minutes before your kids. "When the kids are around, they slow you down," Natalie says. Use the short morning quiet time to start getting yourself ready before the kids get out of bed.
2. Motivate with positive reinforcement. Children will respond to small rewards for good behavior. "I usually say to my kids, first one who has dressed, brushed their teeth, and is standing in front of the car will get a treat today," Natalie says. "You take the focus off of the yelling, screaming, and reminding 10 times."
3. Encourage multitasking. If you let your children watch TV in the morning, make sure they are brushing their teeth, eating breakfast, or getting dressed in the meantime.
4. Don't go to bed with a mess. Do what you can to organize things for the next morning before going to sleep. "The night before is the time to do everything," Natalie says. "You should go to bed with a clean kitchen, so you wake up to one too."
WATCH: Best Hot Chocolate Ever
5. Give yourself a cushion. From missing homework to a breakfast spill, you never know what small setback may affect your morning timing. "If you say to yourself, ‘I need an hour to get out of the house in the morning,' you really need an hour and 10 minutes," Natalie says.