Nutrition guru Lisa Young, R.D. reveals 4 easy tricks to keep you in your sexy skinny jeans while still enjoying all of the yummy foods Thanksgiving has to offer.
1. Don't arrive famished. Instead of saving your appetite for the big four o'clock feast, make sure to have a healthy breakfast and a light lunch (such as fruit and yogurt). Starving yourself earlier in the day will just lead to major bingeing - and uncomfortably tight pants - at dinner.
2. Limit hors d'oeuvres. Rather than blowing your calories on finger foods - after one mini quiche, a cracker with cheese, and a Swedish meatball you've already downed 230 calories - pace yourself. Dig into the crudités, have one or two of the must-try nibbles, then wait for the main event.
3. Keep portion size in mind.
Knowing what a serving really looks like will help you to set limits. Some useful visuals to keep in mind: one serving of turkey measures about the size of a deck of cards (tip: white meat has less fat than dark); one serving of stuffing, mashed potatoes, or cranberry sauce looks like half a baseball.
4. Shift your focus away from the food.
Instead of wondering when it'll be time for seconds, enjoy the company you're in. Get updates on everyone's family or career, bring some pictures of the kids/grandkids to show off, or exchange recipes.
MORE FROM REDBOOK:
Tasty Twists on Traditional Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Hot Ways to Work a Little Black Dress
10 Tips to Beat Bloat - Instantly
Unforgettable Holiday Gifts for Everyone in Your Family
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to Redbook & Save up to 82%!
CONNECT WITH REDBOOK:
- Become our fan on Facebook
- Sign up for REDBOOK's free weekly newsletter
- Follow us on Twitter
- Enter to win free daily prizes in REDBOOK's web-exclusive and magazine sweepstakes!
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.