Sometimes I wonder if it's a good idea to serve appetizers to guests who come for Thanksgiving dinner. They're generally not a traditional part of the Thanksgiving spread. Plus, you've been planing this meal for weeks and would rather have guests stuff themselves silly on your perfectly roasted turkey - not on some little smokies and artichoke dip.
However, Thanksgiving is essentially a really long, really big dinner party. And dinner parties appetizers are a must. Plus, if your guests have been sipping on a glass of wine before dinner...let's just say appetizers are probably a good thing.
Now we're not talking an elaborate spread of 6 different curred meats and gourmet cheeses, just a few simple items your guests can munch on before the main event. These simple Taste of Home appetizer recipes are the perfect solution for your pre-Thanksgiving dinner festivities.
Turkey Cheese Ball : While the real bird is roasting, you can present your guests with this tasty Thanksgiving turkey.
Pumpkin Pie Dip : This sweet recipe is great served with sliced pears and apples, or as a spread on vanilla wafers or sweet zucchini bread.
Spiced Nuts: These seasoned mixed nuts are a great appetizer. Place in decorative bowls and place around the room for easy snacking.
Marinated Mozzarella : Marinated in sun-dried tomatoes and red pepper flakes, this simple appetizer will be gobbled up in a flash.
Snickerdoodle Chex® Mix : Get the classic taste of cinnamon and sugar cookies in a munchable snack mix that's ready in 15 minutes!
Turkey Cheese Ball
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 6 ounces deli smoked turkey, finely chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Brown, orange and yellow paste food coloring
- 6 large oval crackers
- 1 large sweet red pepper
- 1 small yellow summer squash
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Assorted crackers
- In a small bowl, beat the first six ingredients until combined. Shape into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- In another small bowl, beat cream cheese and milk until smooth. Divide among four small bowls. With food coloring, tint one bowl brown, one dark orange and one light orange (using yellow and orange); leave one bowl plain.
- Transfer each mixture to a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of each bag.
- For turkey tail feathers, decorate the top halves of large oval crackers with tinted cream cheese.
- Using the red pepper, form the turkey head, neck and wattle. For beak, cut a small triangle from summer squash; attach with cream cheese. Add eyes, using brown and plain cream cheese. Insert pecan halves and decorated crackers into cheese ball. Serve with assorted crackers. Yield: 1 cheese ball (3 cups).
Want more Thanksgiving recipes?