This recipe comes from my dear Aunt Martha who is truly a Southern Belle at heart. Along with making homemade chocolate and yummy candies, she is a pie baker who knows how to make the perfect crust. For this recipe, you can use store bought crust or make your own. The sweetness of the filling is what matters in this Southern Pecan Pie recipe.
Southern Pecan Pie
You will need the following:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark Karo syrup
- 1 cup pecans, chopped plus a few whole ones for decorating the top
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
1 - 9 inch store bought pie crust or make your own.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat eggs with mixer on medium speed in a large bowl for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Stir until the grainy sound of the sugar is gone.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Insert a knife in center, if it comes out clean, then the pie is done. Cover knife marks with a few whole pecans.