The in-between time between seasons can always be a tricky to navigate fashion-wise. You're working with two different seasonal color palettes, two different types of weather, and two different overall styles. While spring to summer and fall to winter are less challenging to muddle through, the transition between the summer and fall can pose some of the biggest issues for your wardrobe.
Summer to Fall: The Problems
In the fashion world, the spring/summer and fall/winter seasons tend to be grouped together as such. That means most of the same colors, trends, styles, patterns, and designs are still relevant from the spring to the summer, then from the fall to the winter. But the transition from summer to fall marks a turnover in the color palettes, a change in the trends that is much more dramatic. Knowing when to switch from one to the other is a real challenge.
Beyond that, you're also contending with the weather. Cooler temperatures loom, mixing in between hotter late summer days and throwing you for a loop. One morning might be sweltering, the next cool and breezy. Learning how to dress for the weather is another challenge in itself, making the fashion issue as practical as it is trend-conscious!
Basic Tips to Get You Through
Luckily, the weeks in between the summer and fall, when so many things are up in the air, give you a little bit of leeway in your wardrobe choices. Surviving the transition is all about being as flexible as the weather and as willing to juggle aspects of both the summer and fall seasons at the same time. Try some of these expert tips, as recommended by Glamour, to make the transition a breeze:
- Transitional tights. Using tights can be an important way to mark that fall is coming, but should be used wisely. If you opt to wear fall styles, go without tights for as long as possible so your outfit retains a little summer flair. If you wear a sundress, however, pair it with some tights to make it more fall-appropriate.
- Beach bag savvy. If you've got a neutral beach bag on hand, it can make a great carryall as well as the perfect accessory to keep your fall wardrobe choices sufficiently summery.
- Add something shiny. If you opt for the warmer fall wear, add some sparkling metallic accessories to liven it up.
- Knitwear accessories. On the other hand, if you're dressing in summer garb, adding a fall accessory like a knit cap or an infinity scarf can help blend the lines between summer and fall.
- Perfect combo. A good in-between color blend is to wear khaki with white and denim. For example, a nice khaki cropped jacket makes the perfect accessory over a white shirt and pair of your favorite jeans.
- Summer tops, fall bottoms. Mix your favorite summer tops with tailored leggings instead of shorts or capris for a good in-between style.
- Blazers. Likewise, pair a blazer with your cute summer tops or summer dresses to keep warm and blend styles all at once.
- Glamour. Fall Fashion: the DOs and DON'Ts of Transitioning Your Wardrobe from Summer to Fall
- WikiHow. How to Transition from Summer to Fall Fashions.