by Laurel House
You could have sworn it was still winter… that is until your clock "sprung forward" taking away an hour of your precious sleep. And suddenly you realized- it's spring! But more than rising an hour early and a noticeable increase in both bee and butterfly population, spring means it's time to hit the beach. Yes, get ready to bare all (except of course for the skimpy piece of fabric also known as a bathing suit)! So… maybe your skin hasn't seen the sun in months and, okay, you let yourself go a little. This spring break let loose, while tightening up your tush. Since Miami Beach is probably the most popular state-side spring break paradise, we asked one of its locals- ExerciseTV fitness expert and creator of Living Thin, Jessica Smith, what tricks really work.
1. Wear sunscreen! Even if you want to tan. Use a shot glass full for your entire body. Reapply every couple of hours.
2. Use the beach as your gym. Traditional exercises are amplified thanks to the uneven surface of the sand! Try squats, lunges, push-ups, running, sprinting and jumping jacks. Or try these spring break exercise: http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/body-sculpting/spring-break-makeover-0768
3. Frisbee. Playing Frisbee is basically like doing interval cardio- you are alternating periods of high intensity (running, jumping, sprinting after the Frisbee) with lower intensity movement (throwing the Frisbee, cheering on your partner).
4. Play Beach Volleyball. Beach Volleyball is a great total body workout improving overall strength, coordination, agility and cardio fitness while jumping, running, and serving the ball.
5. Beach Walks. Even just walking at a steady pace in the sand while you enjoy the company of your loved one or friend is a great way to get in some cardio endurance exercise.
6. Involve the Kids. Forget about ipods and PSPs and instead build a sand castle, play tag in the waves, Frisbee, volleyball, jump the waves in the ocean!
7. Skinny Drinking! Alcohol = Calories = Fat. Slim down your drinks with seltzer water instead of sodas, and add fruit slices instead of high-cal frozen blended drinks (the added water and minimize sugar also help curb a hangover).
Learn how to sculpt 6 pack abs with Tandy Gutierrez! The top ExerciseTV trainer delivers an amazing Pilates workout designed to improve your physique.
More from ExerciseTV
- Try this new workout to power up your walks!
- Workout anytime, anywhere with ExerciseTV's new iPhone app!
- Find out how Adriana shed 78 pounds with ExerciseTV!
- Transform your body for free with this 40 minute workout!