It was only a matter of time. The floral print trend has gone tropical. Bold, almost gaudy tropical prints full of hothouse flowers and giant ferns in splashy exuberant colors are here. Tropical prints, although trendy, have truly stood the test of time. The look is decidedly summer only, so get ready to embrace this fun trend with the following vacation worthy looks.
Three ways to look island chic
1. Start with a tropical print dress
A pretty Hawaiian print dress can turn you into an island princess in a flash.
- Try a maxi dress like this one by Hale Bob. The soft flowing fabric allows you to glide into a backyard bash and maintain your poise even when the temperatures soar.
- This sassy one shoulder Hawaiian print sheath takes a bold stance. The captivating color scheme and well-placed designs add a flattering touch. Add metallic accessories to really stand out in a crowd.
- Have fun with the naturally laid back prints by adding a floral hair accessory. Carry a colorful purse or one with an equally tropically graphic.
2. Start with tropical print shorts
Funky tropical print shorts are a great way to embrace the look.
- When your shorts are loud, you should keep the rest of your outfit to a quiet whisper. A simple plain white tee and nude sandals are enough.
- Feel free to add a fun fedora or cute cowgirl hat to make the look your own. Athleta Loretta straw hats add a dash of nonchalant coolness even when you are sporting giant blooms on your bottom!
Start with tropical accessories
Adding a tropical twist to your outfits is easy with accessories.
- Wrap a chiffon scarf over a simple denim or white sundress to add a touch of wanderlust to your look. Scarves are useful in the summer months. They can be wrapped around your head as a quick way to pull your hair off your face or cover your shoulders to fend off the chill of a summer night.
- A fun pink flamingo necklace is a cute touch. Wear with a tank top and shorts or your favorite little black dress for a nod to the tropics. Parrots, monkeys, pineapples and bananas are all possible graphics that will add a touch of the tropics. They can be found on everything from inexpensive graphic tees to bathing suits and cover ups.
- A small tropical purse like this curved blue shoulder bag is another way to bring island style to your neck of the woods.
More by Sylvie Branch: