Savvy travelers know that great deals can be had in shoulder season, the times that fall on either side of a peak travel time. Budget Travel scanned the globe for the best places to visit during the in-between months of September, October, and November, and here are some of the best deals among the bunch.
- Marrakech - Catch sunny, 90 degree days during Marrakech's September shoulder season. You'll find room rates up to 50 percent of what they go for during the December high season.
- Cape Town - Hotels in Cape Town typically find themselves at 60 percent capacity during September and offer discounts to attract additional business. It also happens to be a great time to go whale-watching.
- Iceland - If you don't mind temperatures that huddle around the upper 40s during September, you can enjoy Icelandic activities like whale-watching tours, glacier hikes, and dips in hot thermal springs. According to Budget Travel, weekend hotel rates in the country's capital Reykjavík drop by about 15 percent during its shoulder season.
- Greek Islands - The beaches on the Greek islands are less crowded in October compared to the peak Summer months, but the weather is still warm enough to relax in the sand. What's more, prices for accommodations are typically 20 percent less than high-season rates.
- London - Enjoy a more peaceful vacation to London during October when there are less tourists visiting, and score cheaper hotel rooms and discounted flights compared to Summer fares. Remember to pack a jacket and an umbrella, and you'll be just fine.
- Thailand's Andaman Coast - You'll catch the tail of Thailand's wet season if you visit during November, which means dealing with occasional rain, but you can also expect hotel rates at 50 percent less than their peak season prices.
- Beijing - Because international travel to Beijing drops by about 20 percent in November compared to the peak Summer season, prices also become more attractive.
- Buenos Aires - Budget Travel says 23 percent fewer Americans fly to Buenos Aires in November than in December, so prices are adjusted to match the demand.
- Paris -November is a great time for finding deals in Paris - according to Budget Travel, the average air/hotel package price booked via Expedia last November was half the average for April.
- Costa Rica - Visit Costa Rica in November and expect less rain than the usual Sept. and Oct. Costa Rican rainfall levels, and less tourists than there typically are in the Winter months.
I'm Asking: Where Did You Travel This Summer?
Travel Tip: Before You Book, Compare Apples to Apples
Cargo Cruise Ship Vacations: Brilliant or Baffling?