It's hard enough to plan a garden on your own, let alone plan one on a budget. But leave it to a Hollywood production supervisor to pull it together. Di Zock designed her backyard for the house that she rents in Venice, California, for less than $2,800. She created three outdoor rooms: a living area, a shed office, and a dining space. Her tools: paint, slipcovers, and patience. Creating a garden on a budget may take longer than a week or two; you have to shop close-out sales and haunt thrift stores. "But relying on imagination more than dollars has its benefits," Di says. The result is more original and more personal. And career changing-Di left the film biz for garden design. Info: Di Zock Gardens.
Outdoor living area
1) $220: Choose the inspiration piece. That's what Di did when she selected the ceramic fountain (far right) from the Jungle Nursery (thejungle.biz). Its turquoise hue inspired her garden's striking color scheme.
2) $100: You love it? The price is right? Buy it. Di had no idea how she was going to use the ceramic elephants (to left of fountain) when she saw them at a thrift shop. "But I knew they were just the right touch of whimsy."
3) $10: Paint inexpensive pots. Between discarded pots and "wainscoting" a terra-cotta pot in blue, Di coughed up only $10.
4) $125: Ground the space. The turquoise-and-brown rug, made from recycled plastics, dresses up the garden. Purchased from vivaterra.com
Outdoor dining room
5) $200: Repaint for character. The ordinary picnic table and benches were used for a movie set. After the filming was over, Di bought them for a fraction of the original cost, then repainted them an unconventional turquoise.
6) $25: Decorate with plants. Chocolate brown Aeonium and orange Sedum are so stunning that you can get away with cheap pots.
7) $40: Shake up spray paint. Di bought white Moroccan lanterns at a Venice gift shop and spray-painted them bright orange. Similar ones available from casablancamarket.com
SEE ALL IDEAS FOR AN AFFORDABLE CHIC BACKYARD
Amazing outdoor makeovers
Great ideas for easy updates to your home
Budget-friendly makeover ideas
Reinvent your stuff: 20 low-cost DIY projects
Today on Yahoo!
1 - 6 of 48