These 17 activities -- including sleeping! -- burn more calories than you'd think. From The 17 Day Diet: A Doctor's Plan Designed for Rapid Results, by Dr. Mike Moreno
1. Run errands: Walking briskly while lugging dry cleaning or groceries can burn about 120 calories in 30 minutes.
2. Fidget frequently: Research has shown that fidgeting, such as tapping toes and fussing with hands, blasts off up to 800 extra calories per day.
3. Get on top: Skip the passive missionary position and climb on top. This position decimates 4.5 calories per minute.
4. Take the stairs: Every minute you climb kills seven calories.
5. Take two: Taking the stairs two at a time burns 55 percent more calories than single stepping.
6. Rock out: Studies show that exercisers who tune in to music while exercising work out 25 percent
7. Give your lover a massage: An hour-long massage burns 230 calories.
8. Have sex: An hour of passionate playtime kills 270 calories.
9. Pace periodically: You could burn about 100 extra calories during an eight-hour day if you walk
around your office, pace while on your cell phone or otherwise move around.
10. Kiss: Every minute you kiss someone you burn 1 calorie.
11. Don't order out: Cook at home. Spending an hour cooking burns about 150 calories. You can burn half of what you eat for dinner merely by cooking it yourself!
12. Sleep: You burn up to 200 calories while sleeping for around 7 hours.
13. Kick up your heels: Dancing burns 200 or more calories an hour, depending on the dance.
14. Do the hula hoop: This isn't just for kids anymore. In just 10 minutes you can burn 44 calories. Plus, you tone your tummy while doing it.
15. Jump rope: Fifteen minutes of jumping rope burns 170 calories.
16. Play with your kids: A game of hopscotch can burn 222 calories over the course of 30 minutes.
17. Coach your kids' sports team: Coaching burns between 281 and 372 calories an hour.
Did you know that every minute you kiss someone you burn a calorie?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dr. Michael Rafael Moreno, author of The 17 Day Diet: A Doctor's Plan Designed for Rapid Results, better known as Dr. Mike, is a graduate of the University of California at Irvine and Hahnemann Medical School (now Drexel University). Following his residency at Kaiser Permanente in Fontana, California, Dr. Mike moved to San Diego, where he now practices family medicine and sits on the board of the San Diego Chapter of the American Academy of Family Physicians. In 2008, Dr. Mike launched "Walk with Your Doc" (http://www.walkwithyourdoc.com), which he participates in every Tuesday and Thursday morning before his workday begins. The program began when Dr. Mike offered to walk with a patient to motivate her to exercise, and has since grown into a thriving community.
- Buy the book The 17 Day Diet - Get 20% Off + Free Shipping
Discover 16 healthy foods that can make you fat