Rihanna's new album, 'Loud,' drops November 16 th !
- Brooke Sager, BettyConfidential.com
Rihanna is one Loud and smoking hot singer. Her latest album is ready for release and we can't wait to put it on our iPods. As all the wedding mayhem settles down, Katy Perry's BFF can finally take the spotlight.
Here are 20 fun facts about the star to get you in the mood for Loud!
1. Her full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty. Her nickname is RiRi. Very cute!
2. She was born and grew up in St. Michael, Barbados. She is half Bajan and Half Guyanese.
3. Her song "Unfaithful" is based on a relationship she had when she was 14 years old that was "not physical," she has said.
4. Rihanna made a cameo appearance in the 2006 cheerleading romp, Bring It On: All or Nothing.
5. Rihanna attended Combermere High School in Barbados. In 2004, Rihanna won the Miss Combermere school beauty pageant.
6. Rihanna won Gillette's Venus Breeze ''Celebrity Legs of a Goddess'' award in 2007. Right after that, she insured her legs for $1 million and told People they were her main focus when exercising.
7. She formed a girl group with two of her classmates at age 15. They auditioned for producer Evan Rogers who was vacationing in Barbados at the time. He tells Entertainment Weekly, "The minute Rihanna walked into the room, it was like the other two girls didn't exist." She ended up leaving Barbados and moving to Connecticut with Rogers and his wife to try and jumpstart her career.
8. Rihanna had a bunch of auditions lined up for major record companies. Once she auditioned for Jay-Z at Def Jam Records, who offered her a great deal, she immediately cancelled her other appointments.
9. Her success was falsely rumored to be in thanks to a romantic involvement with Jay-Z. Then he was dating, and is now married to Beyonce, one of Rihanna's favorite singers.
10. Her other favorite singers are Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston and Alicia Keys.
11. She won her first Grammy for her song "Umbrella," a collaboration with Jay-Z. Her second Grammy was for "Run This Town" with Jay-Z and Kanye West.
12. Rihanna banned fans from bringing umbrellas to her U.K. concerts. She was afraid people would get injured if fans tried to copy her dance moves with the umbrellas when she performed "Umbrella."
13. Her first hit was "Pon de Replay" off her debut album Music of the Sun. It peaked at Number 2 on Billboard's Hot 100. She toured with Gwen Stefani to promote that album.
14. When she was just a kid, Rihanna's mother was a professional make-up artist but wouldn't allow her daughter to use beauty products. Rihanna grew up and became the face for CoverGirl cosmetics.
15. In February 2008, Barbados created a national holiday to honor Rihanna. She accepted the honor and as a thank you she put on a free concert for her fans.
16. Rihanna's first number one hit was "S.O.S (Rescue Me)".
17. She won't eat Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, or Indian food. She also hates her vegetables. Rihanna claims to stick mostly to local fruits and water to keep healthy.
18. In February 2008, Rihanna joined forces with H&M and Designers Against AIDS (DAA) to promote the global campaign, Fashion Against AIDS. It works to raise awareness about the disease and combine fashion with the message of safe sex.
19. We all remember back in February of 2009 when Rihanna was assaulted by her boyfriend Chris Brown. She didn't utter a word of it until nine months later, when she broke her silence on ABC to Diane Sawyer. "This happened to me…It can happen to anyone," the singer had said.
20. She has found love again, and is currently dating Matt Kemp, an outfielder for the Los Angeles Dodgers. She calls her boyfriend of a year "the peace in her chaotic life."
Brooke Sager is BettyConfidential's editorial intern.To read more from BettyConfidential:
How to Get Katy Perry's Style
10 Fun Facts About Chelsea Handler
- Olivia Wilde Poses Dripping Wet: 10 More Wet and Wild Celeb Photoshoots
Connect with BettyConfidential: