Throwing a parking lot picnic before the big game is a fun fall ritual, but it can leave you looking messy. Here's how to get sausage grease and other dribbles out of your team tee before it's time to hit the stadium.
1. Bratwurst: If a bit of grease squirted from a brat onto your jersey, blot the stain with a small piece of the bun. When you get home, rub the stain with a grease-cutting liquid dishwashing soap, like Dawn, and launder in the warmest water possible.
Related: Super Bowl Party Menu
2. Salsa: Place a layer of paper towels over the stain. Working from the inside of the fabric, flush the area with cold water to transfer some of the salsa to the towel. Once you're home, pretreat with a liquid laundry detergent to break up the stain. Let it sit for several minutes, then rinse well. Sponge the stain with white vinegar and rinse. Pretreat again and wash. The same technique works for ketchup smears.
Related: The Party's Over Stain Guide
3. Beer: If you wind up with beer on your shirt after the excitement of a home team touchdown, just grab an ice cube from the cooler and wrap it in a napkin. Then press the "ice pack" onto the stain to sponge it with cool water. Once you get back home, apply a laundry stain remover to the stain and if safe for the fabric wash with chlorine bleach.
Related: 20 Sports Lovers' Movies
4. Baked Beans: Scoop off as much of the baked beans as possible with a clean plastic spoon. As with the salsa, flush the stain with cold water for the time being. Later, pretreat with a prewash stain remover, like Shout, and launder as usual.
Related: The Best New Snack Caddy
What are your favorite tailgating tips?
More from Good Housekeeping:
- Solve Any Cleaning Crisis - Fast!
- 15 Foods That Help You Lose
- Tired All the Time? Find Out Why!
- Best Travel Coffee (and Tea) Mugs
- For More Tips & Tricks You Can Count On: Subscribe to Good Housekeeping & Save!