by Jessica Smith, REDBOOK
Spring-cleaning? Stay green, clean and non-toxic with these 5 natural cleaning swaps (that really work - we tried them all):
1. Instead of DUSTING SPRAY, try 1 tbs. of lemon juice mixed with 2 tbs. of olive oil. Wipe down wood surfaces with the solution using a cloth, then buff to shine.
Related: How to Find Your Magic Weight
2. Instead of WINDOW SPRAY, pour 1 cup of white vinegar and 2 cups of water into a spray bottle to clean windows and mirrors (and buff windows with a dry, clean chalkboard eraser for an even more brilliant shine).
Related: 12 Anything-But-Plain White Vases
3. Instead of TOLIET BOWL CLEANER, pour 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1/2 cup baking soda into the bowl. Wait for the fizz to stop, then brush and flush!
Related: Low-Carb Recipes That Taste Great
4. Instead of BATHROOM CLEANER, try vodka! It works wonders on bathroom sinks and tubs as a germicidal cleanser, and it doesn't leave behind any toxic chemicals or residue. Plus, it's strong enough to kill mold. (Don't waste the good stuff; a bottle of non brand name Vodka is still less than some brand name cleaners). Cheers to that!
Related: How to Beat Bloat
5. Instead of SILVER POLISH, use toothpaste! To get rid of mild tarnish, and shine your silver, rub it with a dab of toothpaste, and then scrub with water. Rinse it completely and then buff to shine with a soft cloth.
Jessica Smith is a certified fitness lifestyle expert and creator of the 10 Pounds Down DVD series.
More from REDBOOK:
Could You Go a Week Without Yelling?
Have the Hottest Sex of Your Life…with Your Husband
- 6 Shocking Reasons Why Men Stray
- Get a Flat Tummy in 2 Minutes
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save Up to 84%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.