Check out our list of products and initiatives that support HIV/AIDS research and education.
- PJ Gach, BettyConfidential.com
December 1 is known around the world as World AIDS Day. It started back in 1988, the simple red ribbon has become a symbol for fighting prejudice, promoting awareness of HIV/AIDS education and research.
Today there are three companies and one non-profit organization that will be donating money, time and energy to keep information about this global epidemic at the forefront and to fight the disease.
1. Piperlime and Project Runway's Mondo Guerra have collaborated on two limited-edition tees that are launching today. The shirts are printed on Nation LTD T-shirts, and $20 from each tee sold will benefit amfAR. amfAR is an organization devoted to ending the global AIDS epidemic through research. During episode 8 of Project Runway, Mondo revealed that he is HIV positive. He's been using his new-found celebrity status to bring more awareness to AIDS research.
Mondo for Piperlime limited-edition tees ($50, piperlime.com)
2. MAC Cosmetics is known for their AIDS advocacy. On World AIDs Day, more than 1,400 M∙A∙C employees in 120 North American cities and 30 countries will be volunteering their time and skills at AIDS/HIV charities across the world. In New York City, you can find them at God's Love We Deliver among other charities. Since 1994, MAC Cosmetics, through their MAC AIDS Fund, has created programs to promote AIDS awareness and work with charitable organizations throughout the world.
On a daily basis, 100 percent of the proceeds of MAC Viva Glam lipsticks and lip glasses goes directly to the MAC AIDS Fund. Since its inception, they have sent proceeds to charities in 67 countries. To date, they've donated more than $190 million to fight AIDS.
Here are the two latest Viva Glam lipsticks:
Viva Glam Cyndi lipstick ($14.50, maccosmetics.com)
Viva Glam Gaga ($14.50, maccosmetics.com)
3. Hair Dressers Against Aids is a global advocacy program that utilizes hairdressers in their unique position as stylists and confidants to become a resource to educate their clients and communities about HIV. The organization is sponsored by The L'Oreal Fondation D'Enterprise in partnership with the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS, TB and Malaria (GBC). They are considered to be one of the largest HIV/AIDS mobilization campaigns in U.S. history.
Today, wearing red ribbon themed clothing and accessories, carrying Flip Video camcorders and using video booths, they'll encourage people to leave messages about HIV/AIDS. These videos will then be streamed to Times Square video billboards as well as the campaign Facebook page and Web site. The campaign encourages all participants to "Use Your Voice, Use Your Power, For A Beautiful World Without AIDS."
To learn more about the program or to get involved, please visit their website.
4. Barielle is having a site-wide sale today. You can take 10 percent off every product and the proceeds will be donated to HIV/AIDS organizations.
Pick up Barielle nail strengthener cream ($17, barielle.com) for yourself or the Barielle Natural French Manicure kit ($16.50, barielle.com) as a holiday gift for someone else and take 10 percent off!
5. Borders, Borders Express and Waldenbooks have partnered with Lifebeat- the music industry's HIV/AIDS prevention charity. This year customers can donate 25 percent of their total purchases to Lifebeat. Select Borders will have live performances and author signings including visits from Hilary Duff, Ronnie Spector, Gary 'Baba Booey' Dell'Abate, Carol Channing, Hal Sparks, The Posies, Chely Wright, Shelby Lynne, The Superions, Lisa Rinna & Harry Hamlin.
To have the percentage of sales go to the charity, customers can visit Lifebeat online and download the voucher DECEMBER ONE. When it's presented at a Borders, Borders Express or Waldenbooks, 25 percent of each sale will go to it.
PJ Gach is the Senior Editor: Style + Beauty at BettyConfidential.To read more from BettyConfidential:
10 Most Salacious Celeb Sex Scandals Ever
10 Hot Gifts For Your Sex Life
- Do Some Foods Gross You Out?
Fat Blasters for Winter