By SHAPE blogger Renee Woodruff
When you're living in a city like Manhattan, you get pretty creative with the amount of space you have...which is very little. Here are my five favorite ways to use my bed (get your mind out of the gutter!). What are yours?
1. Eating. Yes, you heard me just fine. When you live in a tiny, shoe-box shaped apartment in the middle of Manhattan, your bed takes on many titles. Multi-tasking becomes a must, and eating in bed happens often. I'm not talking full-blown meals, but I am talking Buttercup cupcake parties with a glass of wine, a paper-towel wrapped peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a snack-pack cottage cheese to comfort a late night growl and of course, snacks of various assortments during movie time (I'd prefer watching a movie in bed over the couch any day).
2. Beauty prep. With just enough floor space to turn around in my old apartment, my bed automatically became a cosmetic counter as I prepped during the wee hours of the morning. Hair dryer, makeup case, hair brush, deodorant, hairspray: These are all items you would have found spread out across my white down comforter as I primped, painted, blowed and curled.
RELATED: Ever Want To Go Back To Childhood?
3. Entertainment. This constitutes all things that amuse me. I lie in bed in the afternoon on a weekend and most nights either reading one of my many magazine subscriptions or a book. I have a TV/DVD positioned in perfect viewing distance from a few fluffed and tilted pillows, so I tend to consume Sex and the City reruns, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Modern Family, Entourage and hundreds of movies in my bed.
4. Laundry. No, no… not what you think. My bed doesn't so much double as a washer/dryer as it does play host as I sort, fold and pile all of my clothes that are ready to be laundered or have come from the fresh from the cleaners.
RELATED: Reflecting On The Importance Of Food
5. Thinking. I don't think I'm alone when I say that I do way too much thinking in my bed.