Besides being good for you already, there's a growing list of foods that actually help burn fat. Check out our list of what to stock up on if you want to slim down.
- Turmeric - Turmeric, the spice that gives mustard and curry its yellow color, may slow down the growth of fat tissue. Swap out mayo for mustard, or try this healthy recipe for Indian-spiced chard with tofu.
- Raw Nuts - Raw nuts, especially almonds, help you metabolize faster because they're high in alpha-linolenic acid. And you'll eat less because the monounsaturated fats in nuts help satisfy your hunger longer. Snack on a handful each day, or try an almond butter sandwich for lunch.
- Cinnamon - The body takes quick spikes in sugar levels as a sign to store fat. The addition of cinnamon helps prevent those highs from happening. Grate some over your next sweet treat or morning yogurt.
- Dairy Products - A study measuring the effects of dairy on a low-calorie diet showed that those who consumed yogurt, cheese, and milk lost the most weight. Dairy products are high in protein, which helps us feel full faster and also helps to speed up metabolism.
- Oatmeal - Plain oatmeal is slow to digest, and this helps regulate blood sugar levels. You also end up feeling full for a longer period of time, warding off your need to eat. Add some fruit, nuts, or cinnamon to your next bowl, and make sure to eat the unsweetened stuff.
What to Eat to Burn Fat During Your Workout
Does It or Doesn't It Boost Your Metabolism
Add Sprints to Drop Those Last Five Pounds