Over the last month or so, I've been in a funk. I hadn't an idea as to why, however, until this past weekend. On a long and beautiful walk, it hit me: Having just released my book, I've been frantically in promotion mode, wearing an infinite number of hats and going in many different directions...all without knowing what, exactly, I'm trying to achieve. As a result, I've felt as though I've been running 100 miles a minute, but not really getting anywhere.
My attempt to do everything has counteracted my ability to actually focus on a goal and achieve it. My walk gave me the down-time necessary to set a couple of goals for the next month or two and, within minutes, I found my funk slowly dissipate, my mood begin to lift and new-found energy percolate.
The simple act of goal-setting is very important to each and everyone of us and our overall well-being and happiness. Here are some reasons why:
- Direction: Without even the smallest of goals, it is easy to feel as though we lack direction or are lost. Having goals focuses our energy, and enables us to work towards something we value.
- Individual Purpose: Goals, whether big or small, are vitally important to giving us individuality and purpose. Goals can be personal, social, political...anything that you find important to you and your life. Goals are individual to you and your needs, wishes, desires and dreams, and so, YOU drive what they should be.
- Boosting Self-Esteem: Without goals we don't have accomplishments. Every time you set a goal and reach it, you prove to yourself that you are capable of achieving what you set out to achieve. This results in a natural boost to our self-esteem and a deeper belief in oneself.
- Positive Reinforcement: When we accomplish our goals, we reinforce our belief in ourselves to set and accomplish new ones. This helps to muffle negativity, doubt and fear, making way for a "can do" attitude that helps us continue to strive.
- To Reach our Full Potential: Goals enable us to move beyond our comfort zone and become the best we can be. They allow us to take-on new and exciting challenges and help us grow as individuals.
Are you a goal setter? Do you feel "lost" or in a "funk" when you aren't working towards a goal? What positives do you see or feel from setting goals?
JUST IN TIME FOR THE HOLIDAYS!!!!! Learn how to shed excess pounds naturally with the most simple way to eat healthy for life with "GET REAL" and STOP Dieting! BUY IT NOW!