I never make New Year's resolutions. I find that I can't, won't, don't commit and end up disappointed. I don't need more stuff on my to do list or more reasons to feel like a failure. I've had my bouts with committing to eating healthy and exercising blah blah blah. It never sticks because I do both those things anyway. If I went all Emeril and kicked it up a notch I'd have to eat and train like I was a triathlete, which I am decidedly not. Once I made a resolution to try something new in the year, something adventurous. Having completed nothing by November, I realized that adventure scares me. I suppose there's something to be said for self awareness.
Instead, I pass on the resolutions and simply make a list of some simple things to guide how I live my life. Here's my list for 2011.
- Try a food you've never had before. Kimchi. Fiddlehead ferns. Stinky cheese.
- Pay for the person's coffee behind you in line. It's remarkable how easy and uplifting it is to show a little kindness.
- Squeeze a tad tighter when you give someone a hug. My friends Kate and Christy give the best hugs because it's more of an embrace than a cursory shoulder tap tap tap.
- Use sunblock. Along with drinking lots of water, it's the secret to healthy skin.
- Unplug for a day. Just a day. It's rejuvenating. And I bet it's addictive.
So tell me, what are you doing to guide your life in 2011?
Ilina is mom to two boys, ages 7 and 5. She loves to cook, covets a Nook Color, and mixes a mean cocktail every week at 5:00 Fridays on her blog Dirt & Noise.