Photo: ThinkstockQuestions about hairstyling, color and maintenance? Don't worry-O beauty director Valerie Monroe has the answers. She gives you the straight (or wavy, or curly) story on how to keep your hair looking its best.
RELATED: Summer Hair: Your 3 Step, No-Heat Plan
Q: My hair keeps breaking; how can I prevent split ends?
A: This is one of those questions I'm asked with startling regularity-like three times a day. And I think there's a good reason: Unless you're a haircare zealot-by which I mean you see your stylist without fail every six weeks for a trim, you never overshampoo or overstyle with heated tools, and you wouldn't go near a chemical treatment-some breakage and split ends are inevitable. But a few suggestions from master stylist Barry Reitman at Kevin Josephson Salon in Beverly Hills can help:
RELATED: The Best Products for Every Hair Type
- Use a moisturizing shampoo and rinse-out conditioner, concentrating the product on your split ends.
- Rinse with cool water to seal the hair's outer layer.
- Detangle with a wide-tooth comb.
- Pour a bit of shine serum into your palm and glide it over split ends.
- Be sure to dry your hair thoroughly; split ends look worse when they're frizzy.
- To camouflage the ends, apply a light heat protectant when hair is completely dry. Then use a ceramic or Teflon flatiron to straighten the bottom inch of your hair.
RELATED: How to Get the Perfect Chic Ponytail in 4 Easy Steps
Bottom line: Because of normal wear and tear, you can't prevent split ends entirely. But they can lead to breakage higher up on the hair shaft, so getting regular trims is important to your hair's health, says Antonio Prieto, of Antonio Prieto Salon in New York City.
RELATED: What Your Hair Says About You (and How to Change the Message)
More from O, The Oprah Magazine:
- Chill! 19 Things You Can Stop Worrying About Right Now
O's Great Buy of the Day
- Dr. Oz's 6 Health Secrets from Around the Globe
- 7 Non-Hideous Bridesmaid Dresses for Under $200
- Subscribe to O, The Oprah Magazine and save up to 78%