Photo Credit: Ben GoldsteinHey, it's called a junk drawer for a reason. Say goodbye to these all-too-common space wasters.
1. Kitchen items you haven't used in a year or longer. If you've never used your breadmaker or panini press, the odds you'll use it in the near future are pretty slim. Donate the bulky appliances and enjoy the extra space.
2. The entire contents of your junk drawer. There's a reason you call it that! Think you might have some useful items stored there? Empty the whole drawer into a box, and any time you use an item, place it back in the drawer. At the end of the month, toss whatever's left in the box and rename the newly functional drawer.
Related: 26 Organizing Tricks That Really Work
3. Clothes that no longer fit. They make it more difficult to search your closet to find the things you do wear. If you truly believe they'll fit at some point in the near future, then box and store them until then.
4. School work from high school or college. The material is most likely outdated, and the chances you'll refer to it again are slim. Save your favorite papers in an archival box, but toss the notebooks, texts, and handouts.
5. Baby gear. Safety standards change so quickly that car seats and cribs are generally outdated just a few years after they're manufactured. Plus, they take up a lot of room. Keep only if you're already working on baby number two.
Related: Never Pay for Household Cleaners Again!
6. Random receipts. If you don't know what they're for, or if they're for basic items (groceries, toiletries, lunch) that you don't need to record for taxes or expenses, get rid of them.
7. Half-used bottles of shampoo, conditioner, or makeup you tried only once. If you don't like the product enough to use it every day, you won't like it in a few months' time.
8. Books you've never read, or books that you'll never re-read. Donate them and save space on your shelves for the books that speak to your soul.
By Julie Morgenstern
More from REDBOOK:
- The Easiest Way to Get a Bikini Body
What's Your Mom Personality?
- Find the Right Bra, Lose Five Pounds
- Diet Myths That Make You Fat
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save up to 82%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become Our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.