dangerous jobs for momsThe best jobs for moms run the gamut from web developer to acupuncturist, but I'm considering taking one off the list: social worker. At least if you're a social worker at the state psychiatric hospital in Napa, California where 75 aggressive acts have taken place in a six-month period at this facility, which gets more dangerous every year.
More from The Stir: Gwyneth Paltrow is a Working Mom's Roll Model
Most disturbingly, last October, Donna Gross, a psychiatric technician, was murdered by a patient who was a violent criminal, who was allowed to roam the grounds freely. Gross' daughter is suing the facility, where Gross was strangled to death in the afternoon, outside, after Jess Massey stuffed her mouth full of dirt so she couldn't scream.
No one expects that they'll die on the job, or be seriously maimed. But the fact of the matter is thatsome jobs are more dangerous than others. After you become a mom, you might want to think twice about your career.
As a feminist, I will always say that women can do the same work as men and that fathers are as important as mothers. So when I call out these jobs as being "bad for moms," I'm also implying that I would not want my husband to take on these dangers either. However, I do recognize that in some households the moms consider themselves the most important parent, insofar as being there for the children. If that is you, please reconsider working in a state facility like the one above, and these eight careers:
1. Police Officer -- Unless you can get an assignment that takes you off a dangerous beat (which is possible), skip putting yourself in the line of fire.
2. Firefighter-- Speaking of fire, maybe avoid that while the kids are young.
3. Astronaut -- Yes, it's exciting and your kids will think it's cool. But the time away, as well as the danger, makes this not so hot for moms.
More from The Stir: The 22 Jobs of a Stay At Home Mom
4. Prison Guard-- As seen in the facility above, it's not totally safe to hang out with violent criminals.
5. Convenience Store Worker -- While we've seen convenience store workers defend themselves mightily during a potential hold-up, no one wants their mom to be put in that position where much worse things can happen than winding up on YouTube for kicking some ass.
6. U.S. Military -- If you're signing up during wartime, you know what you're getting into. While I'll thank you for serving our country, I would just want to make sure I wouldn't be re-deployed before having children. Yes, I realize this isn't always the way it goes. So, thank you men and women of our military.
7. Stunt Woman-- Getting blown up, run over, and thrown through plates of glass for a living may sound like fun. But once you've gotta' take care of someone else, maybe it's time for voice over work.
8. Deep Sea Fisherman (woman) -- They don't call it the Deadliest Catch for nothing. This is a job with some of the highest fatality rates in the world. Which may be why so few women actually go into the field. Whew.
What jobs do you think moms shouldn't do?
Image via dbking/Flickr
More from The Stir: