Work + Money
- Savvysugar | Work + Money | Fri, Nov 16, 2012 2:42 PM EST | CommentsSource: 7 Hotel Hacks You've Never Heard Of
There seems to be a spike in hotel dwellers in the areas hit by Hurricane Sandy. It's hard to live out of a hotel room, but here are some tips that may make living conditions more bearable.
- Make grilled cheese with an iron. If you're looking to heat up your cheese sandwich, wrap it in aluminum foil, the press an iron on top of it. Use the highest heat setting, then press each side for 30 seconds and check to see if the sandwich has been toasted.
- Sterilize items with a microwave. Other than the obvious use for a microwave - heating up food or cooking - you can use the microwave to sterilize items like sponges, toothbrushes, dish clothes, and cutting boards. Remember to dampen them with water, lemon juice, or vinegar first before nuking. Also, don't microwave the items for more than a minute.
- Use towels to humidify and cool the air. Hang a wet towel to dry in your hotel room, and you'll have an instant humidifier
- Savvysugar | Work + Money | Fri, Nov 16, 2012 2:38 PM EST | CommentsSource: Plan Your Sale Hit List With These Black Friday Store Openings
Friday, Nov. 23, marks the date many retailers have been planning for all year: Black Friday. While the day of in-store super savings may not get you a steep discount on everything you need for the holiday season, the day after Thanksgiving certainly provides amazing prices on a select number of enticing products.
That is, of course, if you're one of the first customers through the door, and many people take that status very seriously, lining up hours or even days in advance in order to snag that cheap flat screen TV or video game console. Whether you plan to join them or to take your chances and show up when the store opens its doors, check out our list of major retailers and their store opening times. Happy shopping!
Best Buy: Nov. 23, 12 a.m.
Target: Nov. 23, 12 a.m.
Macy's: Nov. 23, 12 a.m.
Walmart: Nov. 22, 8 p.m.
Kohl's: Nov. 23, 12 a.m.
Toys "R" Us: Nov. 22, 9 p.m.
JC Penney: Nov. 23, 4 a.m.
K-Ma...Read More »
- Healthy Self, Self Magazine | Work + Money | Fri, Nov 16, 2012 2:19 PM EST | CommentsSELF magazine
Not to perpetuate stereotypes or anything, but like who hasn't dealt with that one woman (or multiple women) at work who makes things really difficult? You know the one: She serves up backhanded compliments, intentionally leaves you out of meetings, gossips behind your back and is basically the professional embodiment of Regina George. (She may even tell you to wear pink on Wednesdays.)
So in an effort to help those working with an, ahem, not-so-nice chick, authors and career experts Kathi Elster and Katherine Crowley penned Mean Girls at Work: How to Stay Professional When Things Get Personal, which just hit shelves this month.
See more: 20 Superfoods for Weight Loss
"Women really are programmed to compete a little more covertly and aggressively than men," Elster and Crowley told SELF, "and now that we're 50 percent of the workforce we're bound to encounter some of that competition." In the book, they highlight the seven different kids of "mean"...Read More »
- Astrology.com Financescopes | Work + Money | Fri, Nov 16, 2012 12:42 PM EST | Comments
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
Some days it's harder to reach your goals than others, and today you're moving so slowly it feels like you're going backwards. Your efforts are actually effective, though, even though you can't see the results just yet. You're in the 'slow and steady' part of the race.
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Astro Identity Reading
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
Power struggles that are between the radical and the conservative are a lot easier to deal with than the one you are dealing with today. The subtleties make picking the right side a lot harder than usual. A lot of money rides on your choice, so think hard.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Past Life Reading
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
You know what they say about tr
- Mandy Seay, Quickeasyfit | Work + Money | Fri, Nov 16, 2012 11:41 AM EST | CommentsThere are plenty of ways to save money on the cost of travel when going on holiday. Below are a few top tips to help you:
Piggy Bank on beach vacation
Book early - Trains, planes and coaches have a quota of tickets that they will sell at a low price. Once these have gone, the next quota will be a higher price and so on. Book at the earliest time possible for the best prices.
Read Also - Top Money Saving Mistakes and How To Avoid Them
Alternatively, book at the last minute. This is ideal for people who don't mind where they go on holiday or are open to suggestions.
Don't forget to book airport car parking or car hire early too!
Plan ahead - Don't pay for your baggage when you get to the airport. Plan ahead and pay for it online in advance.If you are taking a lot of baggage compare the cost between airlines to see if it makes a difference to your overall travel costs.
Read Also - When You Should Say No to a Bonus
Travel out of season - If you're willing to go on holiday at of...Read More »
Today on Yahoo!
PICK OF THE DAY
- Shopping steals in Jan. Work + Money