Work + Money
- Betterhealthblog.com | Work + Money | Mon, Oct 8, 2012 11:26 AM EDT | CommentsDo you know that you can enjoy your life without having to spend thousands of dollars? Money certainly does not bring happiness. It is totally up to us to live a happy or a sad life. You can enjoy beautiful moments during your life while living on a budget. How? Given below are some useful tips.
Cheap Expeditions - Go on cheap expeditions that do not cost a fortune. Take your bike and explore things in your area. If you live in an area that is close to mountains or forests then you can go hiking or enjoying the woods. Such trips will not cost you much and you can have a great time. If you don't want to go alone then you can ask your friends to join you and have a great time together.
Hangout - Hanging out is a great option. You don't always have to sit in a fancy restaurant to have a good time. Simply, go out and walk on streets to enjoy your time. Walking is not only good for health, but it also helps you k...Read More »
- The old practice of hocking personal belongings to get cash fast - a.k.a. pawning - is on the uptick, no doubt due to the hot reality show Pawn Stars, which documents the doings at a Las Vegas shop. But that series usually focuses on rare finds that are sold for a flat fee, not pawned. The real heart of pawning is short-term "safety net" loans for more ordinary items. Here's how it usually works (no matter what The Old Man might do on TV): You bring in your item, the pawnbroker makes an offer, and then - after some negotiation - he gives you cash. If you want to get your item back, you have a set time period (often 30 days) to repay the loan with interest. Do so on time, and you'll get your item back. Default on the loan, and the prize goes to the pawnbroker - who then has the right to sell it. What's more, there's now a whole online pawning industry for people who don't want to set foot in a pawnshop. Either way, you have to learn the ropes so you won't sell yourself short:
1....Read More »
- Susan Ricker Careerbuilder | Work + Money | Mon, Oct 8, 2012 10:26 AM EDT | Comments
The Soft Skills You Need To Get Hired
When employers say they're having trouble filling open positions because of a lack of necessary skills, they aren't always talking about an inadequate number of math, science, technology, engineering or math experts. Soft skills -- a professional attitude, the ability to be punctual, answering the phone politely -- can be equally important in deciding if a job seeker is right for a position.
From the moment you apply for a job, you're being judged on more than just your résumé. Imagine you send a cover letter with your résumé but accidentally misspell a few words. This may not be a big deal to some employers, but you've already demonstrated that you don't pay attention to details and may lack professionalism.
Related:Changing Employers: Making A Great First Impression
Having strong soft skills makes you a desirable job candidate and gives you an edge over other job seekers. When you focus on your attitude, presentation and demonstration of professionalism, hiring ma...Read More »
By Louis DeNicola, Cheapism.com
As back-to-school sales wind down, things start looking up for anyone thinking about buying a new laptop. Decide.com, which tracks prices for consumer goods, has pinpointed the end of September and the second half of December as two of the best times to find a deal on a laptop. The site's CEO told Forbes that consumers should shop after the back-to-school rush. And of course Black Friday always brings discounts.
Related: Top 4 inexpensive thermostats
Can't wait for a deal? Cheapism has pored over reviews in search of affordable laptops that earn experts' favor. Sale or no sale, you can snap up one of these models for well under $600.
Now might be the best time to look for a laptop.
- The new Dell Inspiron 15R (starting at $550) features a 750GB hard drive, 6GB of RAM, and four USB 3.0 ports with fast transfer speeds. This 6-pound laptop has a 15.6-inch screen and comes with a second-generation Intel Core i3-2370M processor (2.5 Ghz). For more processing power and a price that's (bar
By Nici Perrault, GalTime.com
We are all guilty of looking for ways to beat the system and save our hard-earned cash by looking for free stuff. No matter if it's a tiny spoonful of ice cream or a 2 oz bottle of perfume, anything free is always welcome.
Unfortunately, many people do not know of places where they can take advantage of free samples, and no one wants to awkwardly ask and be told "No." Below is a list of 10 places where you can find freebies and walk out with something more than you what you paid for.
Places that Offer Free Samples:
1. Sephora.com - You can pick three free samples and add them to your online shopping basket. Options include perfume samples, including brands such as Marc Jacobs and Georgio Armani. You can also grab special moisturizing and hydrating serums and exfoliating washes to test what they will do to your skin!
2. Nordstrom Beauty - Nordstrom Beauty hosts Free Sample Saturdays. Every Saturday they offer...Read More »
Today on Yahoo!
PICK OF THE DAY
- Shopping steals in Jan. Work + Money